Buckhurst Hill History


The Warren, Epping New Road

Thank you to Sophie for contacting us with the following picture and information about The Warren, formerly 'The Reindeer Inn'



This image is part of the Epping Forest archive at London Metropolitan Archive

Originally the Warren was a Tudor hunt standing ‘The Little Standing’, smaller than the existing Queen Elizabeth’s Hunting Lodge. The beams can be seen from within the house today.

In the 18th century it was a pub 'The Reindeer Inn' renowned for serving rabbit pies. Later the land was used as a warren for the breeding of rabbits.

The grounds and house were ‘improved’ and gentrified by Humphrey Repton (the landscape designer). REPORT CONCERNING A VILLA IN ESSEX describes the poor state of the property and the rabbit infested state of the site before the improvements.

In the early 19th century the General Grosvoner (a friend of Wellington) took up residence, a whole new class of tenant after the rabbits! 

The Obelisk in the grounds was bought in from the Wanstead House sale (owner: William Pole Wellesley, a nephew of Wellington).

Finally The Warren as it is now known was bought by the City of London in 1876 for the Superintendents of Epping Forest to live in.






Community Web Kit provided free by BT